Talent Management magazine is a trademark of MediaTec Publishing Inc. All talentmgt.com and Talent Management magazine content © Copyright 2011 MediaTec Publishing Inc. All Rights Reserved. It is illegal to copy, reproduce or publish any information contained on talentmgt.com or in Talent Management magazine without express written permission from MediaTec Publishing Inc.
Eat too much Halloween candy? We all know the feeling. Recover with these top five stories from Talentmgt.com for the week of Oct. 29.
1. Yes, Optimism Can Make Better Leaders: Thinking of challenges as opportunities and maintaining one’s optimism can propel the organization forward, writes Talent Management columnist Marshall Goldsmith.
2. Plan for Unplanned CEO Succession: Last week Citigroup’s CEO resigned unexpectedly and shocked everyone. What do you do in the event of an unplanned shakeup or loss of a CEO? Richard A. Metheny, vice president of human resources/chief people officer at executive search firm Witt/Kieffer, explains.
3. The Best Thing Job Seekers Do to Get Hired: Sometimes it’s the little things that get job seekers noticed by employers, a recent OfficeTeam survey suggests.
4. Keys to Driving Culture Change: Corporate culture can boost engagement and productivity, but it’s not easy to establish or change, writes Talent Management editor Frank Kalman.
5. Teach Employees to Navigate Office Politics: Politics in the workplace can have an adverse impact on employee performance. Use these tips to minimize its impact and create a positive work environment, writes Robert Hosking, executive director at staffing service OfficeTeam.
In Other News …
Via Forbes, meet the CEO who banned all internal emails at his company for a week.
Click here to find out why.
Frank Kalman is an associate editor of Talent Management magazine. He is a graduate of Northwestern University’s Medill School of Journalism, where he earned his master’s of science degree in Dec. 2010. He is also a graduate of Indiana University Bloomington, earning a degree in American history in May 2009. Prior to joining MediaTec, Frank served as an editorial intern for Crain’s Chicago Business, covering commercial and residential real estate for Crain’s real estate spinoff, ChicagoRealEstateDaily. He also covered public finance and commercial banking while a reporter at Medill. Frank can be reached at fkalman@TalentMGT.com.